Falafel Crisps With Peach Chutney
This recipe concentrates on using whole, seasonal ingredients, to help your body adjust to the transitioning time of year.
These crisps will give you a nice protein punch with lots of healthy fibre to balance your digestive system and keep you going throughout the day.
The Peach Chutney is a great way to take advantage of the last of the summer produce. It can help to lower inflammation in the body and fight off any back to school bugs!
1 cup Parsley
2 Garlic Cloves
1 Can of Chickpeas (19 fl. Oz) – Drained and rinsed
1 Large Lemon (Juice)
1 cup Yellow Onion (chopped)
2 tsp Cumin
2 tsp Coriander
½ tsp Cayenne
½ cup Oatmeal
Salt and Pepper to taste
Olive Oil (to brush over tops)
HOW TO MAKE THE FALAFELS
1. Preheat oven to 350°
2. Combine Parsley, Mint, Garlic in a food processor until finely chopped
3. Add remaining ingredients & process until roughly mixed, make sure the texture is not too fine
4. Let the mixture stand for 10-15 minutes while preparing the peach chutney
5. Shape out dough into cracker shapes (of your choosing) and place on lined cookie sheet
6. Dust the tops of the crackers with Olive oil and Salt
7. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes, flip over, cover alternate side with Olive oil and bake for another 10 minutes, or until crackers have reached your preferred crispiness.
*This will make approx. 100 crisps. If you want to make less, you can freeze the rest of the dough for another time, or make the crisps larger.
PEACH CHUTNEY INGREDIENTS
4 Peaches (chopped)
1 cup Yellow Onion
1 ½ tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
½ tsp Turmeric
¼ Dried Cranberries
3 tsp Mustard Seed
HOW TO MAKE THE PEACH CHUTNEY
1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over low/medium heat
2. Let simmer until there is no more liquid, easy!
Recipe by Maggie Archibald
Photos by Shelby Stewart